Thursday, May 23, 2019

Why did you choose your career?


"To be or not to be,  that is the question"  William Shakespeare

Big decisions usually find yourself at a crossroads; especially when you are a teenager and your future professional life depends on your wise determination today. This is when you realize that you are a young adult with a huge responsibility...your future. But did it happen that you didn´t know what to study when you finished high school?

When I was at primary school, I thought of becoming a doctor, an architect, an engineer and also … a cartoonist (an artist in drawing cartoons). Cartoon magazines—Disneyland, Condorito, Mickey mouse—were quite common for everyone…


During high school, I developed a liking for languages, mainly English, and science, particularly through the subjects of Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Computers did not exist and Internet existed only in my dreams; but, I have dear memories of my  teacher of biology who was then the Wikipedia/Internet application that opened my mind to biology, pushing me to uncover the mysteries of life; I also have wonderful memories of the chemistry lab sessions and I still have an excellent book of physics with plenty of information to fill my need of learning.

What would I study when I finished high school? Well, I must say that the possibilities were not many. Why? Simple, money. Although you could start almost any career, some of them were, and still are, quite expensive. Medicine, engineering and architecture demanded expensive materials that my family could not afford. So, as English was—and still is—important, I decided to learn English following the teaching profession.

I became a teacher of social English and had the opportunity and luck of having training in scientific English  as part of my studies at the university. This training in scientific English brought me to the Fac. of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences; has allowed me to work in various fields at different places (Economics, Nutrition, Medical Technology, Civil Engineering ...); has permitted me to be the editor of a Scientific English Newsletter; and also be visiting Professor in academic activities.

My liking of English, teaching, and science is evidenced through the design and creation of a website with Scientific English exercises.  So, as you may see, English and Science have united in the end. 


&&&&&

It´s your turn now; tell me about:

- your dream jobs when you were a child
- other career options that you had at the moment of applying to university
- what made you decide in the end
- your experience at university until now
- the kind of job you would like to have
 
Minimum number of words :130 
Remember to make a comment on your teacher's post and comments on three classmates' posts.

34 comments:

  1. When I was a child, I also wanted to dedicated to something with painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ariel,
      Some years ago, you could easily find institutions that gave short courses to develop skills and thus be able to draw cartoons, still life... I wonder if those institutions still exist.
      See you,

      Delete
  2. Oh Claudio, it is always a pleasure to read your posts, i hope to keep meeting you at this platform... And i loved your website, i really enjoyed the false cognates word puzzle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gonzalo,
      We have a long way to go during this term. So let's take advantage of the opportunity of writing better and better.
      Nice to know that you enjoyed the scientific website too.
      See you,

      Delete
  3. I think it's great that I work in a scientific faculty, since you always interested in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danae,
      Science and technology have always fascinated me. Are you interested, in the future, in doing research and uncover the mysteries of life?
      See you,

      Delete
  4. It's very impressive that you had that vocation for science at such an early age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Franco,
      Not so different from other people who enjoy music and want to become musicians as soon as possible or those who love math since they are small kids...
      See you,

      Delete
  5. i never thought that you wanted to be a cartoonist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole,
      When I was a kid, magazines were commonplace and you naturally wanted to draw (by then, TV and video games were a dream)
      See you,

      Delete
  6. I never imagined that you were interested in science, it is a very interesting story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vanessa,
      Nice to know... Are you interested in becoming a researcher in your area?
      See you,

      Delete
  7. It´s cool how the other areas of knowledge are vinculated with sciences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Guillermo,
      And today, more than ever...
      See you,

      Delete
  8. It's nice to read that you had worked in so many different places, i am sure that it was rewarding for you...
    I hope to work in a lot of places too to become a great professional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa,
      You will certainly have greater possibilites of doing various activities of your liking and thus become the excellent professional you want to be.
      See you,

      Delete
  9. It´s a pleasure to know that, even though both of your passions are very different, you could make a effort to make your work work around your likes and get a very grateful experience of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      You also should take advantage of this globalized world to make the most of yourself...
      See you,

      Delete

  10. It is amazing how time tells us that the decisions we made were the right ones, I am very glad that it has ended so well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,
      You have to walk in your winding road and find the best answers to your queries...
      See you,

      Delete
  11. It is disappointing that a system determines the study of a person by his socioeconomic level. But I like that people choose for their preferences and personal tasty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniel,
      "When the door is closed, you always find an open window..."
      See you,

      Delete
  12. When I was a kid I also liked sciences but honestly I did not like English jajajaj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Albert,
      That's more common than expected...
      See you,

      Delete
  13. It's great that you found a way to do everything you like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catalina,
      Lucky me... We all find a way to do what we want... just patience and a bit of luck.
      See you,

      Delete
  14. it's good that you finally achieved to relate the things you like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leandro,
      Thank you... By the way, does your career fill your needs?
      See you,

      Delete
  15. It's amazing that you can work in the areas that you like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Javiera,
      We should all be able to do it... I hope your career fills your expectations...
      See you,

      Delete

  16. How interesting your post, I was amazed that he thought about dedicating himself to be a cartoonist at a time in his life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Divo,
      You are always at a crossroads, looking for the right road to your happiness in work and life.
      See you,

      Delete
  17. It´s interesting the way in which you mix a different disciplines like English and sciences.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The death of Lavoisier ... it was a big lost for the science and humankind.

    ReplyDelete